Sunday, February 13, 2011

Vic Chesnutt - Coward


I heard somewhere along the way that a person oughta do one thing every day that scares them. This is an act of embracing life. And this act will bring a person to their truth. That person is free to back away from it, and will, because living in truth constantly is exhausting. Smiling at fear, offering it your hand, a warm palm leveling itself to sure panic, well, that is too arresting an act to practice, isn't it? 


Isn't it?


But I guess I'm going to go ahead and try anyhow. I imagine some hilarity will be had, a mountain of useful failure, a sure portrait in cowardice, and moments of success.  And perhaps, finally, some things so amazing, that I suspect neither failure nor success will even be the issue. 


Speaking of courage in the Brown Daily Herald on March 24, 1995, the writer Ray Bradbury said


Go to the edge of the cliff and jump off. 
Build your wings on the way down.


So here's the project. I am building my wings as I go.  Every day for one year, I will mindfully do one thing that scares me. I am not an adrenaline junkie, so this will not be a collection of Xtreme tales of Whoa. These things might not scare anyone else. And that's fine. 


My first act, 
of course,
is writing this.


Love,
Sara Elise


PS: On days I do not visit the keyboard, I will catalog my terrors and report back dutifully to whomever I might find here. It's nice to have company while you're scared.

No comments:

Post a Comment